Get the perfect addition to your home. With over 40 years’ experience, Hybrid build beautifully bespoke, expertly crafted sleepouts, minor dwellings and granny flats, Auckland-wide.
Sleepout – Villa – 30m2
Sleepout Villa aesthetic. Custom built to match the character of your home.
Sleepout – Bungalow – 30m2
Sleepout Bungalow character. Bedroom with study or home office.
Sleepout – Cottage – 30m2
Sleepout Cottage design. Two bedrooms with wardrobes and veranda and deck.
Sleepout – Central Bay – 30m2
Sleepout Central Bay design. Multi-purpose space for an expanding family.
Sleepout – Double Bay – 30m2
Sleepout Double Bay. Designed to compliment the character of your home.
Sleepout – Split Gable – 30m2
Sleepout Split Gable. Complimentary to your 70's home with classic features.
Sleepout – Villa – 65m2
Sleepout Villa. Minor dwelling with two bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom laundry.
Sleepout – Bungalow – 65m2
Sleepout Bungalow. Double bedroom with kitchen, laundry, wardrobes matching your home.
Sleepout – Modular Unit – 65m2
Sleepout Modular Design. Sleepout or minor dwelling with modules to suit.
Sleepout – Louvre Roof
Sleepout Louvre Roof. Sleepout with carport, storage and optional bathroom and kitchen.
Sleepout – Cottage – 10m2
Sleepout Cottage. Minor unit with veranda and deck for character additional space.
Sleepout – Corner Site – 10m2
Sleepout Corner Site. Minor unit with wrap around veranda and over windows.
Sleepout – Minor Unit – 10m2
Sleepout Minor Unit. Single bedroom with sliding doors both sides.
Sleepout – Mancave – 10m2
Sleepout Mancave. Multi-purpose building with internal storage.
Sleepout – Villa Studio – 10m2
Sleepout Villa Studio. Single bedroom with villa features, veranda and deck.
Get the perfect sleepout addition to your home
Building a granny flat, sleepout, minor dwelling, or minor unit is a great way to make the most out of the space on your property, whether it’s for family members, to earn some extra income, or to simply work from home to get that extra space you’ve always wanted.
A full-service team, looking after you every step of the way
Whether you’ve got a general idea, or a specific design in mind, we’ll build something that’s personal to you.
As a full-service building company, we’re proud to say our experienced and approachable team can take care of the whole process – from planning out the design and layout, to getting resource consent, to managing the full construction.
Custom Sleepouts & Minor Dwellings
A sleepout (30 square metres) is a great way to add an extra multi-purpose rooms, bedroom and study, rumpus room for kids and sleepovers, guest house, or office to work from home, storage.
A Minor Dwelling (65 square metres) adds an extra bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and running water above a sleepout and can be built up to 65m2.
Building a stand alone sleepout or Minor Dwelling is less disruptive than altering your existing home and cheaper overall.
A Sleepout or Minor Dwelling will increase the sale price of your property and will add flexibility to your lifestyle even if you use one of the rooms as storage. You can separately metre your Minor Dwelling for a secondary income.
Are you looking for a Sleepout or Minor Dwelling for extra room and a multi-purpose?
Sleepout up to 30 square metres without building consent! *conditions apply*
Hybrid have the custom designed Sleepout solution for you.
- Sleepout Villa - Basic Package (30m2)
- Minor Dwelling Villa 65m2
- Construction Options
- Consent & Compliance
Basic package inclusions, full detailed schedule available, optional upgrades available:
1. Floor Plan: 30m2 or less, Bay on Left or right.
2. Floor: Screw piles, Bearer 2x100x50mm H3.2 bearers, Joists 150x50mm H1.2 Joists, 20mm Strandfloor screw and glue fixed.
3. Framing: 2.4m high stud, Placemakers prenail framing or framed onsite.
4. Trusses: MiTek engineered trusses
5. Joinery: Altus (Fletcher Residential) 35mm Pacific Residential suite, single glazed, black Aria hardware, standard colour range
6. Sliding Door: Standard sliding door.
7. Deck & Stairs: 100x40mm H3.2 Pine, galvanized nailed,. Size 1.5m Wide x 1m Deep deck with 1m wide stairs (Basic)
8. Balustrade: Excluded
9. Veranda: Excluded
10. Roof: 0.40 Colorsteel Corrugate, screwed, building paper, no mech, ridge flashings, no eaves flashing, standard colour range
11. Insulation: Underfloor Expol White R1.4, Walls Pink Batts R2.2, Ceiling Pink Batts R3.2
12. Metal Battens: 16mm Metal Batten and Clip ceiling system laver level
13. Building Wrap: Thermakraft Watergate Plus building wrap with Thermakraft Aluband flashing tape
14. Cavity: 50x25mm H3.1 Cavity battens with James Hardie uPVC cavity closure. Dynex internal & external corner under flashings.
15. Cladding: 200mm Bevelled backed weatherboards H3.1 finger jointed pre primed with galvanized soakers, small eaves bead, no facings, 10mm scribers to joinery.
16. Baseboards: 100x25mm vertical or horizontal H3.2 decking baseboards or 4.5mm Hardiflex with ventilation grills.
17. Soffit: 4.5mm Hardieflex fibre cement sheet with PVC jointers, flat head nailed
18. Fascia: 150mm Pine Finger Jointed H3.1 Pre Primed
19. Finishing: 90mm x 10mm single edge bevel Pine skirtings, 60mm x 10mm single edge bevel Pine architraves.
20. Bay Window: No Bay Window or internal seat
21. Flooring Covering: Engineered laminated plank overlay or heavy duty residential carpet on 11mm underlay.
22. Plasterboard: Gib 10mm Gib standard plasterboard, stopping to level 4 , square stopped ceilings
23. Paint: Three coat paint finish to interior and exterior
24. Spouting: Marley Stormcloud white PVC spouting and 80mm downpipes or Colorcote quarter round spouting and downpipe.
25. Electrical: Solar panels on roof with deep cycle battery, LED lights to interior with two power points
26. Plumbing: No Plumbing
27. Drainage: No Drainage
28. Rainwater: discharge onto ground (Sleepout only)
29. Paving: No paving to path
30. Retaining: No Retaining
31. Fencing: No Fencing
Extra Over Sleepout
Basic package inclusions, full detailed schedule available, optional upgrades available:
1. Building Consent required
2. Floor Area: 65 Square Metres (m2)
3. Kitchen: Custom Kitchen with oven, cooktop, dish washer, range hood, fridge, microwave.
4. Laundry: Custom laundry with shelving, washing matching, tub, dryer, extract fan.
5. Bathroom: Bathroom with acrylic shower, toilet, vanity, mirror, LED lighting, extract fan
6. Electrical: Mains supplied electrical, distribution board, PDL 600 switch gear, LED lights
7. Plumbing: Sanitary and Stormwater connected to private system
8. Drainage: Connect into existing systems
1. Floor: H3.2 Plywood Upgrade
2. Rafters: Rafters with Skillion ceiling
3. Joinery: Double glazing, colour matched hardware, Malta or Lucern Hardware upgrade, premium colour range. Additional Joinery units if required.
4. Stacker Door: Stacker slider, EuroStacker door. Window vents to allow airflow.
5. Deck: Full width deck x 2.5m Deep 2m wide stairs
6. Balustrade: Timber balustrade to deck and stairs.
7. Veranda: Veranda to area of deck, 88x88mm Laminated Posts, post brackets, exposed structural brackets bolts or hidden with plugged bolt holes.
8. Roof: 0.55 Colorsteel Corrugate or other profile, screwed, Covertec 403 underlay, mesh, premium colour range.
9. Skylight: Velux skylight or SolarTube natural internal lighting or Solar Illume LED panel.
Canopy: Door canopy if selected.
10. Insulation: Expol Black R1.8 Underfloor or Polyester, Walls R2.4 to R2.8 Pink Batts or GreenStuff, Ceiling R3.6 to R5.0 Pink Batts or GreenStuff flat ceiling, R3.6 Skillion roof Pink Batts or Greenstuff.
11. Cladding: A-Lign Weatherboards, Vertical shiplap pine, Cedar vertical or horizontal weatherboards, Shadowclad, Board & Batten, Cedar Plywood…
12. Bay Window: Bay window design options and seat
13. Aesthetic: Colonial options, bungalow options
14. Window Facings: 100x25mm Facings, 18mm Scribers, Profiled head batten, false sill.
15. External Corners: 100x25mm boxed external corners
16. Internal Corner: W flashing, internal boxed corner, internal bead.
17. Soffit: 6mm Hardieflex fibre cement sheet, grooved plywood, 100x15mm Pile or Cedar sarking.
18. Fascia: Pine colonial feature blocks and finial, Cedar fascia & bargeboard
19. Finishing: Colonial or bevelled profile skirtings and architraves. Gib or timber cornice
20. Interior Door: Interior hinged, double or sliding door between rooms.
21. Attic: Ceiling hatch, pull down ladder, attic storage floor
22. Cabinetry: Custom bookcase cabinetry options
23. Wardrobe: Built in wardrobe and wardrobe organisation or storage options with sliding doors to 2.2m high.
24. Curtains: Curtains, blinds, shutters
25. Floor Coverings: Tiled floor, cork, vinyl plank
26. Plasterboard: Gib 13mm Gib standard ceilings, Gib cornice
27. Spouting: Copper spouting and downpipes, Marley Stratus coloured PVC spouting and downpipes.
28. Electrical: Underground mains electrical feed with additional electrical capabilities. 12 volt TV and Wifi boosting of house wifi
29. Plumbing: Fridge gas/electric 12 volt
30. Drainage: Stormwater connection into existing system or soak hole.
31. Rainwater: Rainwater storage tank with pump or gravity feed for watering garden / washing house.
32. Paving: Path or paving (impermeable site area requires checking)
33. Planting: Planting around base of building, landscaping upon completion.
34. Fencing: Fence works
Building or Resource Consent may still be required?
There are many aspects to building and site compliance. Best practice is to organise a pre application meeting with Auckland Council to outline proposed works ensure no laws, regulations, and standards are being breached. Auckland Council will issue meeting minutes in determination. Auckland Council charge for this meeting.
Hybrid complete all works to a high standard and compliant with:
* Conditions Apply* = Auckland Unitary Plan, Building Act, New Zealand Standards, Building Code compliance
• Unitary Plan Zone: Residential zone, Precinct, Overlays (Heritage), Controls
• Floor Area: <20m2 and <40m2 (excluding decks and veranda)
• Height (GL to Roof): Approx. 3.5 metres Max (without consent)
• Single storey permitted only
• Distance to House: No restriction, attached is permitted
• Yard Control – Front Boundary: Offset for Zone single house 3m, rural 5m, large lot 10m, terraced 1.5m, mixed urban 2.5m (check zone)
• Yard Control – Side & Rear Boundary: 1m to 1.5m minimum, large lot 10m (check zone)
• Close to Boundary: Obtain neighbours signoff and apply to council for Deemed Permitted boundary Activity.
• Site Envelope: Height in Relation to Boundary Yard offset, 2.5m vertical, 45 Degrees angle (check zone)
• Building Site Coverage: 20% to 50% (Including House, carport, garage, decks over 1.5m, cantilevered building, eaves that extends more than 750mm horizontally from the exterior wall of the building, accessory buildings, such as sheds and sleep-outs.
• Landscaped Area (permeable): 20-50% including grassed areas, gardens, permeable paving or paving under 1m wide (check zone)
• Impermeable Area: 35% to 70% including driveway, parking or vehicle areas, pools over 1m, decks less than 1m, paving,
• Proximity to stream/Lake/Coast: Approx. 10m/30m/25m (Refer Zone for specifics)
• Amenities: None
• Sleepout or Garage 30m2 or under (measured inner frame to tinner frame)
• Carport 40m2 of under (measured inner frame to tinner frame)
• Pole Shed 110m2 or under (measured inner frame to tinner frame)
• Deck Slatted Area: Unlimited size under 1.5m, build up to boundary.
• Deck Balustrade: Required where fall is 1m otherwise planter hedge (no walk through access) of 450mm wide.
• Building Act 2004: Garage, sleepout must be its own height off any boundary or dwelling.
• Veranda: 30m2 floor Area maximum** current 20m2*
• Deck: Which it is not possible to fall more than 1.5 metres.*
• Retaining: Retains not more than 1.5 metres depth of ground does not support any surcharge or any load additional to the load of that ground (for example, the load of vehicles).*
• Awning: 20m2 attached to building*
• Pergola: Exempt works*
• Shade Sale: 50m2*
• Rainwater Tank: 2000L Self supporting tank 2m max out of ground*
• Rainwater Tank: 3000L Self supporting tank 1.5m max out of ground*
• Rainwater Tank: 4000L Self supporting tank 1m max out of ground*
• Electrical: Ground-mounted solar array panels**
• Pizza Oven: Outdoor fireplaces or ovens maximum height 2.5m, maximum cooking area 1m**
• Fence: not exceeding 2.5m than supporting ground*uilding Practitioner completed or supervised
2. Registered Master Builders
3. Building Act 2004 and amendments
4. Auckland Unitary Plan
5. Auckland Council Bi-laws
6. New Zealand Standard NZS 3604:2011 and amendments, plus all other relative standards
7. New Zealand Building Code and amendments (Especially E2:AS1)
8. Auckland Transport (AT) Crossing consent
1. m = lineal metre
2. m2 = square metres
3. *Property assessment, unitary plan compliance, code compliance, stormwater connection required.
4. **Further qualification required with Auckland Council
5. ***Pictures and Downloads are concept examples, your design will be bespoke.
“We unconditionally recommend Hybrid”
Hybrid has proven to us that it has the commitment and dedication to complete work it states, no matter how difficult.
Once again your team has been very professional and workmanship outstanding
“Please pass on our sincere thanks to all the Hybrid Team”
“A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness
increases” and I believe that our house is now truly on its way to being a thing of beauty due to the transformation brought about by Hybrid